Failed attempt.

So.. the ECV procedure was a failure.

My little baby just refused to budge, even a little.
Thing is, he’s in a footling breech position but i gave it a shot because you know what they say, you don’t know until you try it yourself!

Image result for footling breech

The doctors also mentioned he is in a weird position whereby his body is slanted to the left side of my tummy and his face is facing upwards!
HAHA! My baby’s complicated even before he’s born!

So for the benefits of those mamas worried about their breech babies and wants to try the ECV procedure, here’s what i went through.

  • My appointment was set at 9am, and i was asked to fast since the night before in case there is a need for e-csect if baby is in distress or waterbag ruptured, etc etc etc. (phew! thank god all was a-okay!)
  • They put the CTG devices on me and started monitoring baby’s heartbeat.
  • 10-ish, a doctor came to do some simple scanning, to check the baby’s position, water level and confirmed that it’s safe for a try.
  • 10 minutes later, another specialist came in and did another scan. she then explained the risks, briefed me on what’s going to happen and stuff.
  • Administered a type of medication i forgot the name to relax my muscles and the 2 lady doctors started the procedure. During the procedure, they kept pushing and scanning to make sure baby is fine.
  • For about a good 15 mins, they tried to turn my baby but he really just won’t budge. In the end, procedure abandoned because they wouldn’t want to put too much pressure and rupture the sac.
  • Continued monitoring baby’s heartbeat for about and hour or so before they released me home.

I would say that the process itself wasn’t painful but probaby because my baby just won’t budge that makes it a little face-cringing for me.

Yes, i was a little disappointed that the procedure was unsuccessful. To make things worse, i begged my husband to take leave from work to accompany me because the clinic doctor said he will be allowed in for the procedure. But in the end, he had to wait outside for about 4 hours.

But hey, i tried and it didn’t work. So i believe God has better plans for me than what i have planned for myself.

To the other mamas worried about their breech baby, i wouldn’t recommend you calling any makcik urut to get your baby back into position. Just to be safe, i would rather you go through the ECV in case baby is distressed, caught in his own cord, etc etc etc. Just make sure baby’s safety is your priority!

We scheduled for a csect birth next week (at 39 wks) and till i become a mother of 2, see you next time!

Love,
MamaHS.

The unplanned plan.

So i’m at my 37th week now and guess what?
Baby’s in breech position. Hmmm.. Guess my consoling and comforting does not work on this little one ey?

So i’m scheduled for an External Cephalic Version (ECV) or simply put, an attempt to turn the baby in the womb, tomorrow morning. This is done so that i can have a normal vaginal birth instead of a cesarean section (c-sect). My gynae is pro-natural, thank god, and she understood that i have a toddler i have to care for all by myself (with minimal help from husband especially after he has to return to work after the paternity leave.). Hence, she insisted we gave ECV a shot.

While my gynae has been very positive about it, she did mention that there are risks to it. She has been assuring me that it will be okay but hey, isn’t it just our nature to want to find out more about something before we go through it and experience it for ourselves.

So what are the risks, you ask? This is what was mentioned by my gynae.

  • success rate is 50-60%.
  • if during the procedure, we experience rupture of placenta, an emergency c-sect will be done.
  • baby will have to be monitored during the whole process. any signs of distress in baby, an emergency c-sect will be done.
  • may trigger labour.
  • baby may be injured if there is not enough fluid in amniotic sac

 

Honestly, i am not prepared for the baby. I want a little more time to myself, husband and #1. Sounds a little selfish, but yes, this is an emotional journey. I wanted a January baby (at least 2017) so much because of the “support” i have been getting from those around me.

So i’ll be walking into the delivery suite with full of confidence i’ll make it back out within 3-4 hours. In shaa Allah, with God’s will.

But if anything against my plans were to happen, i shall resign to my fate and place my faith in Him that this is His plans for me and His plans are the best of plans for me. Amin.

So till the next time, i’ll let you know if the ECV is successful yea? đŸ™‚

Love,
Mama HS